Saturday, January 16, 2010

Books I'm Reading


This is the book that Chris just sent me.  It arrived today.  When I saw the package, I didn't know what book it was because I had just ordered a book from http://www.alibris.com/.  

The book looks great.  It seems more of a weight-loss book than anything though, and I'm not really interested in losing more than 5 lbs. tops.  However, this book looks great in getting me to stay motivated with eating well, and working out regularly.  It looks like a very interesting book and I am excited to read it.   Thank you very much, Chris!

The author makes a lot of emphasis on positive thinking and visualization.  This is great, as long as he doesn't start getting New Age, and recommends you start believing in a reality that doesn't exist.  I noticed some of the subtle cross icons throughout the last 2/3rd of the book, between chapters and sections. 

Ok.  He's a little into the Oprah religion.  I just found that he has a section that we can be motivated to get thin and fit by "changing the feeling of lack and limitation" by thinking: "infinite abundance, abundance flows to me, I am always taken care of".  This is definite New Age religion.  What abundance is he talking about?  

The reality is that some people cannot handle life's hardships or specific trials.  When people feel that the bottom has fallen out or is close to falling out, positive thinking can only last as long as things work out the way for them as they wish.  Sooner or later, even for those who are experts at positive thinking (think Oprah), they will lose confidence that was built on sand, and Poof!  They're over-weight all over again.  Back to square 1, or square -1, because now they have to deal with the guilt and the humility that tells them, "you can't do this all on your own with mere positive thinking." 

That's why when we can depend on someone who never changes, and always gives to us himself, and the ability to do what we cannot do on our own through all the positive thinking in the world, and even through life's hardest challenges, we build our plans on a foundation of stone, not of the dream world of sand.

Other than that, this book has a lot of good information on fats, digestion and the psychological obstacles to weight loss and disciplines that are required for a healthy weight maintanence routine.

Here's the other book I am reading:


This book I found in an Adoration chapel.  It is absolutely awesome!
St. Thomas More wrote this while being imprisoned by King Henry VIII, his former good friend, for not having granted permission to marry his mistress.  He defended the good of family life and holy marriage (which protects families) with his very life.

These meditations St. Thomas wrote while in the Tower of London just prior to his beheading in 1535.  The meditations are on Christ's sufferings, and provide very detailed reflections based on St. Thomas More's extensive knowledge of scripture, and understanding of the original meaning of many of the words and names used (there was a lto of double meanings which are usually lost by modern theologians).   He touches on issues of friendship, leadership, courage and more and does so in such a way that much of the book so far reads in a surprisingly contemporary tone.

Also, this is the book I am waiting for from http://www.albris.com/:


Well, ok, that's not the book cover.  The book, Society and Sanity, is actually out of print.  That's why I had to go to Alibris.  This is the book that I've talked to Dad about for years.  I've wanted to buy for ages, but kept putting it off because I was reading other books.  I finally decided to get it now, before the last of the decent used copies are bought up. 

I found the book in "very good" condition from cover to cover and even with a "very good" conditioned dust jacket.  Then just as I was about to click the purchase button, the Alibris site went done.  I waited until the next day and purchased that same "very good" condition book from a reputable vendor, and I now eagerly await its arrival.   Horray!!!  I'll let you know how it is and will offer excerpts from it when it arrives.

Meanwhile, here are some quotes from St. Thomas More that relate to non-New Age, positive thinking:


On Self-Government:



§ I would have people in time of silence take good heed that their minds be occupied with good thoughts, for unoccupied they will never be.

--The Four Last Things, CWM, v.1, p. 138



§ I think that if any good thing shall go forward, something must be adventured.

--A Dialogue Concerning Heresies, CWM, v. 6, p. 339



§ In the things of the soul, knowledge without remembrance profits little.

--The Four Last Things, CWM, v.1, p. 138

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Supahstah

Click "Play Again"

Jerry Plays Ball by Himself


click button, as shown above, to make movie bigger
Try clicking on any of the names of the produce, as they are links.