A few weeks ago, my choir along with our children's choir, met at the downtown Catholic Cathedral to hear one of the very best (arguably the very best) traditional, polyphonic singing group in all the world: The Tallis Singers. It was wonderful to hear them sing music of composers like Palestrina and Victoria --- who were among the greatest composers of the highest point of Church music in all of history. It was a dream come true for me to finally hear them in person, and most of us (including myself) got to sit right in the front.
I actually had lost my ticket, found it again, then left it at home. This was just before Christmas and I guess I had a lot on my mind. Instead of driving home and giving up --- it was very bad road conditions --- I explained to the woman who was checking and selling additional tickets, and immediately she offered me two for free. I accepted one graciously, and found a seat with my choir up near the front.
It was wonderful!
Before the concert, a few of us met at an Italian grocery store/dining place nearby, Costentino's. It was my first time there. The black bean soup was wonderful! But most impressive was this adorable cake (see to the right). Doesn't he look like he wants to give you a hug?
Below is a photo of the front of Consentino's, which I took after the concert on my way home, from my car while at the stop light (using the iPhone):
I liked how this place looks old-fashioned, like it's right out of the late 20s early 30's. It's actually two floors; the second floor is like a huge loft, with lots of tables and quiet areas for families to eat in peace, while overlooking the delis and the supermarket. It was a lovely evening.By the way, here is a video I found of the Tallis Scholars singing the very last song they performed that evening:
0 comments:
Post a Comment